HAYEK/KOX: VICTORY IN SPA FRANCORCHAMPS
Iconic Italian marque Lamborghini secured victory at round five of the Avon Tyres British GT Championship in Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium. Reiter Engineering’s drivers Marc A. Hayek and Peter Kox charged around the Belgian track on 5 June 2010, behind the wheel of their Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4.
Hayek, President and CEO of prestigious Swiss watch manufacturer Blancpain, started the 150-minute endurance race, making it through Eau Rouge ahead of the fierce competition, but was unable to fend off Richard Westbrook in his Trackspeed Porsche and Matt Griffin in his MTECH Ferrari. Hayek continued his strong and consistent drive, maintaining third place until lap 18 when he handed over the wheel to team-mate Kox.
The Dutch driver rejoined the field in second place, guiding the #24 Gallardo LP 560-4 around the world-renowned track, gaining on the Trackspeed Porsche while setting the fastest lap time of the race on lap 25. Kox passed Westbrook’s team-mate Ashburn with 15 laps of the race remaining and charged to the chequered flag to claim victory.
Hayek and Kox are now joint fourth in the Avon Tyres British GT Championship alongside David and Godfrey Jones, all with 20 points each.
“It was a really excellent result for us,” said Kox. “Marc did a fantastic job considering it was his first time in a proper GT3 car. He drove the first stint and his lap times were consistent with those of the leaders. There was a lot of traffic but we hit the ground running and have come away with a great win.”
The race at Spa-Francorchamps combined cars from three series: the Avon Tyres British GT Championship, the Belcar Endurance Championship and the Aston Martin British GT4 Challenge. Lamborghini also achieved success in the Belcar Endurance Championship, where Argo Racing secured pole position on Friday with a fastest lap time of 2:24.481. Drivers Danny de Laet and Niels Lagrange put in strong performances during the endurance race to secure a fourth-place finish overall.
Also taking place this weekend is the Italian GT Cup at Magione, Italy, where Lamborghini will start from pole position in the second of tomorrow’s races. Italian driver Giorgio Sanna set the fastest lap time of 1:12.672 during the second qualifying session in his #123 MIK Corse Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4, and will share the drive with team-mate Davide Stancheris.
Avon Tyres British GT Championship – qualifying results (top eight)
1. Hayek/Kox Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4, 2m 24.611s
2. Ashburn/Richard Westbrook, Porsche 911 GT3R, Westbrook, 2m 24.974s
3. Lester/Simonsen, Ferrari 430 Scud, 2m 25.657s
4. Walker/Mortimer, Ford GT, 2m 27.117s
5. Whight/Bentwood, Aston Martin DBRS9, 2m 27.209s
6. Warren/Ferrier, Ferrari 430 Scud, 2m 27.706s
7. Hyman/Brown, Ferrari 430 Scud, 2m 28.012s
8. Cameron/Griffin, Ferrari 430 Scud, 2m 28.058s
Avon Tyres British GT Championship – race results (top eight)
1. Hayek/Kox, Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4, 2:32:33.616
2. Ashburn/Richard Westbrook, Porsche 911 GT3R, 55 laps
3. Bryant/Morley, Porsche 911 GT3R, 55 laps
4. Whight/Bentwood, Aston Martin DBRS9, 55 laps
5. Walker/Mortimer, Ford GT, 54 laps
6. Cameron/Griffin, Ferrari 430 Scud, 54 laps
7. Burton/Wilcox, Ferrari 430 Scud, 54 laps
8. Hyman/Brown, Ferrari 430 Scud, 53 laps
9. Balbiani/Garriz, Ferrari 430, 53 laps
10. Lester/Simonsen, Ferrari 430 Scud, 49 laps